Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I let the kids stay up and watch.

That is the true genius of America, a faith -- a faith in simple dreams, an insistence on small miracles.--Barack Obama, 2004.



About 4 years ago, Jared and I stumbled upon a debate on CSPAN between Alan Keyes and Barack Obama for the Illinois state senate seat. We both stopped what we were doing and just watched as Barack Obama restored our faith in politics. A short time later, we watched Obama give the keynote address at the DNC and as most people who watched, felt inspired and hopeful. Shortly after that, I read his first book (and then his second) and became convinced that this man needed to run our country at some point. Not just because Obama was a great speaker and writer or because he was a Black man, but because these speeches and writings gave me a glimpse into his character and I really liked what I saw. I have never felt such personal fondness for a leader (I also like his policies). I was elated when he announced that he was running for president and we have been trying to help the campaign ever since. I still cannot believe what happened last night.

I hope that he will be a president that we all respect and that he will be able to bring the country together as he has promised. I know a lot of my friends and family are disappointed that Obama won, but I ask that you give him a chance and I hope that he will gain your trust.

Sorry to go into politics on my trivial blog, but I just can't help it today. For those of you who are mad at me right now, I ask you to just look at this picture and try to be mad at the mother of this:






14 comments:

buchanancasa said...

Our kids stayed up too, but it was only 10:30 for us, you guys are troopers! The whole thing brought me to tears. All those first time voters who will forever be invested in their country because of this experience. We had some friends over and it was a bash! I am so excited about the future changes. Yahoo!

Sunny said...

We drove home via 125th. I felt like we were driving in a wedding party on Christmas day. Cars were honking and driving slow. Everyone was nice to each other. I didn't have road rage and neither did anyone else. We were waving to everyone. And smiling. No one could stop smiling. I still can't.

alexandra said...

I could not help but be impressed with Obama's candor and obvious intelligence and thoughtfulness in his books (and on the campaign trail). I am way too conservative to ever have voted for him, but I am ready to give his policies a chance. It really is nice, too, that the country is so happy after an election. I think that alone will do so much for us, on top of the fact that he does seem different from the same-olds in politics (like Hilary) that we always see. I am really interested to see what can happen when the people have such an affection for and faith in their President. I am hoping that the answer is a lot.

Oliver & Margy said...

How could anyone be mad? What a joyous occasion for our country, no matter what your politics! It is truly time for a change. Thanks for being such a committed supporter and helping this all to move forward. You're very inspiring too!

Ashley said...

I love your plea with cute pictures of Lucia...you sure know how to use those kids! No one could possibly be mad at you...plus, it's your blog, so do what you want! Last night was crazy on Lenox...honking way past 2am. It makes me happy that people are thrilled about something (it seems a long time since people have been excited about anything related to the govnt). I can't wait to see what happens come January, this should be good!

alexandra said...

In fairness, I don't know if I could have written a post like that about Hillary Clinton (or Al Gore). Obama really is a totally different force than I feel we have seen on the national scene. This article below made me feel even better about what is in store, the first two paragraphs in particular.
http://online.wsj.com/article/declarations.html

scott and linds said...

haha- i like how you ended this post- that cute little girl of yours says it all uh. I'm not completely disappointed, but I can't say I'm elated either.. just unsure. I respect him. I will give him a chance. Its going to be a rough road for him and I'm hoping he can make things happen for our country. I'm just excited to be apart of it all- especially being in Harlem! crazy last night!

Brecken said...

I loved your blog post some much, I read it to Niles. It was eloquent and witty all in one. We too hope he can bring everyone together and make great changes.

junebug said...

Ever since reading your post yesterday, I have the Counting Crows song in my head, "We're never sent to bed early, and nobody makes us wait. 'Round here we stay up very, very, very, very late."
NOT a judgment call! I think it's great that your girls got to witness such a historic event. And you got the pictures to prove it, since they probably won't remember. And I love the sense of unity and community this election has given us, and I'm happy to have been in Harlem for it.
I didn't vote for him, but I would love to be proven wrong by Barack Obama.

Lisa and Mike Marion said...

Oh, Mehrsa I hope you are right. I have read President elect Obamas first book and while impressed by his skill at writing I was not impressed by the man. I feel race is not an issue for our generation. It is fabulous that race will not disqualify you from the Presidency. Now if we could only just get that way with religion too :)!
Now that he is soon to be President I will support him. Although I may not always agree him, he will be the leader of this great country and deserves respect rather than relentless criticism.
And thank goodness for that beautiful daughter of yours or I might have been VERY upset!

Brecken said...

Mehrsa, yes, the house is beautiful...unfortunately, not mine. the party was at our friend's house.

rubi said...

i love this and i love cyra's shirt.

celeste said...

The outpouring of hope and good will for our new president-elect, both in this country and internationally, has been astounding. I haven't felt this hopeful about politics since I can remember.

Sara said...

I too would love to be proven wrong. Thanks for all the articles discussions etc. Loved it.