Tuesday, October 28, 2008

San Francisco

So our flight out of NYC was delayed 4 hours (!!!). The kids were eating snacks off the airport floors and causing ruckus by the time it was time to board. You could tell that all the other passengers were saying silent prayers: "please let me not sit next to them." The flight was fine after Lulu screamed for about 1 hour and Jared calmed her down while I talked to the guy across the aisle about the election. (what?)

We got there at about 4 in the morning:



And after two or so hours of sleep, we were off to see the city:



Jared's parents came out to see us there:







Cyra walked by these statues and said: "Hey, that looks like Papa!"













We also saw our good friends Chris and Alia (who just had a baby).

And the reason for the trip: my cousin, Alaleh's wedding.

This is the sofreh. See here for the symbols.



We had one of these at our wedding too. Too bad I didn't have a blog back then or I could have posted pictures. Come to think of it, I don't think there was digital photography back when I was married.





We so rarely get dressed up that I will indulge you and post one too many pictures of us dressed up:



The bride and groom:


Cousin Arash and Yismary:



It was a beautiful wedding. Great food, great band and then a great DJ. As is custom at Iranian weddings, we danced until very late and left the kids at the hotel with a baby sitter. It was a lot of fun.

Random wanderings around the beach:



When Jared saw this boy scout troop band just appear out of nowhere in perfect pitch walking toward the beach, he was mesmerized and just stood staring at them. Then, he just shook his head and just kept mumbling: "how do they get a whole band out of their troop?" "We can barely get a troop." "And look at all of them with their neat shirts on!" I guess not all boy scout troops are like ours in Harlem, but there are very few who have as much character and charm (who needs a well-coordinated band?)



Excuse the pictures. It only looks dark and gloomy because it was a very dark and gloomy day. But look on the bright side:



This guy sleeping in his Carpe Diem bus is basically living Jared's dream.





These guys too.

And then there was this random group walking the beach:



Wait, look closely:



It's the "small dog society." Really? People who just get together to walk their small dogs? Why do they think that they have more in common with other people with small dogs than say, people with big dogs or is it just for their dogs so they don't develop a small dog complex? But in seriousness, I bet some of those dogs have some great ideas.

17 comments:

Leslie said...

wow, mehrsa, what a dress! you must comment and tell me where you got it. you look lovely!

familia Bybaran said...

Thanks Leslie. I got it at Lord & Taylor in the city. I think the brand is J.S. Collection or something to that effect. I am glad you like it. Your approval of my dress is quite a compliment.

Annie said...

ditto to the dress. gorgeous. next time you are in San Fran, call me. I'll watch the kiddos while you rendevous in the city. I know that Kate would love Cira. Glad you had a great time.

Brecken said...

2 things: You kill me, " small dog complex", hilarious. And you are beautiful, love the pictures of you at the wedding...was the bride offended you showed her up?

Ramona said...

Yes, the dress and you look great--I love the bob haircut! Regarding small dogs, as a new owner of one, I want to join that group! I don't think we have one here in Provo yet--maybe I should start one!

Rebecca Smylie said...

The last line Mehrsa--is that a throw back to Jack Handy? Very funny. And yes, that dress. You look beautiful.

naomi megan. said...

you look absolutely beautiful. love the dress.
and love the san fran photos. i'm dying to get out there.

Anonymous said...

For the 8th time (and I don't mind repeating it), the dress is gorgeous, especially with you in it. Looks like you had a wonderful time, after you got there.

Sara said...

you looked fantastic in that dress. whoever picked your shawl has some high-class taste too, my compliments. I'll guarantee that Jared never dreamed he's be married to such a hottie.

The Gainors said...

yeah, big dogs don't fit in their tiny overpriced apartments by the beach. so many comments, um, A-hot dress, you come along way since the velvet of freshman year. B- is Cyra "think no evil?" that was cute. and 3- i find it hard to believe that YOU were talking to someone about the election.

lucy said...

ummm Can I borrow/have your dress? You guys look great!

Kelley said...

I WANT THAT DRESS

Likely said...

ummm Jack Handy??? HA ha ha. You are hilarious. I laughed out loud at your last paragraph and especially the last line.

this whole post was great. Favorite pics - the airport and the monkey see no evil.... gosh, they were all great. I am still laughing at the small dog society. What's up with people and their silly dogs these days.

Trisha said...

Love the dress! And so sorry to hear about the delay at the airport...no fun!

Oliver & Margy said...

This looks like such a fun trip. I love weddings, small dog meetings, airport wanderings, and San Francisco. If only Obama knew how much you do for him, I'm sure you'd get some awesome appointment on day one.

Amberli said...

i love all these photos! really great. and your dress is t-o d-i-e f-o-r! love it! love you!

Shontz Family said...

i love you dress! when i move to new york will you go shopping with me?!