Thursday, June 11, 2009

Fulfilling our "Arts" quota for the year

Jared and I went on a "Poetry Walk" on Monday and then Museum Mile on Tuesday (although I didn't actually go into any museums except for the Met--to use their bathroom.)

We went last year too and got to meet Bill Murray. No such luck this year. But the weather was pleasant, the poetry nice, and the dinner was great.











To Brooklyn Bridge, by Hart Crane (an excerpt):

O Sleepless as the river under thee,
Vaulting the sea, the prairies' dreaming sod,
Unto us lowliest sometime sweep, descend
And of the curveship lend a myth to God.




(some sort of art exhibit in Dumbo)

Then, the museums (or at least the streets in front of them):



Lulu got a piece of chalk and left her scribblings all over the street.



Cyra, on the left, slept through most of the night.





And this is what she drew:



We couldn't get her to keep walking so Jared led her away with the chalk:













These people made their own steel ball and rolled around in it.





What Rebecca called the "happy kid with the balloon sitting on dad's shoulder" picture.

Walking home at 10pm in our new wagon (thanks to the Baldwins for letting us have it).



We met a woman on the sidewalk on the way home who started to cry when she saw the kids facing each other in the wagon and giggling. She's Turkish and has lived in Harlem for over 40 years and raised two daughters here. She said that they just graduated from college and warned me that the time goes way too fast. We bonded on our walk home about Harlem and life and children and remembered how much we love the city and our neighborhood.

17 comments:

Annie said...

I just love you guys. I am dying over the luring her with a chalk line. too funny.

Sunny said...

Oh man. It all looks like so much fun. That wagon rules. It looks like you're having a great summer. After looking at these posts I feel like I haven't seen you in a long time.

buchanancasa said...

We need to get out of Herriman. Seriously. As always, you are all beautiful.

emj said...

mehrsa,
you are amazing. you are more beautiful that when we were freshman a zillion years ago. and look at your adorable family! love that life is treating you so well!
this is emily jeskie, a girl from your freshman hall at byu...

Jodi said...

Mehrsa, you don't put enough pics of yourself on. You look beautiful and happy with your life...now I know why your kids smile all of the time...they get it from their mom.:)

scott and linds said...

WHAT A GREAT DAY!!! That looks like so much fun! Its something different and entertaining (at least for Lulu ;) ) I'll have to remember this for next year when we come back ;)

Emily said...

What would it be like to have enough time on your hands to make yourself a steel ball to walk around in? And seriously, how is it that your kids will sleep anywhere, especially walking down the middle of a street crowded with people? Amazing.

We're excited to see you in August!

Brecken said...

You may live in the coolest place ever! What a fun night. Sadly, I would possibly require a "poetry translator" to participate. Can't wait to see you in August.

Chelsea said...

Love that first picture of you. Gorgeous. And the one of the girls in the wagon is so adorable. Can you believe you have two perfect girls? What luck.

Heather said...

mehrsa - your little girls are so beautiful! i love their smiles! they are dolls - just so stinkin' cute in all their pictures!

Kelley said...

I want your life. Can I have it? Please?

Allison and Noah Riley said...

I love the exchange between you and the woman on the street. I'm always touched when a stranger (or relative stranger) puts my life, or an element of my life, back into perspective for me. I still remember saying to a woman once that I was "lucky" - she quickly corrected me and said, "girl, you are blessed." I think it about it each time I think I'm lucky :).

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

Such a beautiful family and fun NYC memories! We miss you guys!

Ramona said...

Oh looks so fun! Brings me right back to that night last summer! Can't wait to see you in a few weeks really--I feel like it is almost Aug. as the rest of the summer is all scheduled out!

Alicia said...

Oh I love those little smiles!!! It looks like you've kicked off the summer with tons of fun! We miss you a ton and can't wait to see you in august!

Sara said...

I MISS YOU ALL SO MUCH! Can I make the font bigger, italicize and double underline that so you'll know how much I mean it?? Can't wait 'till August.

robaran said...

These are great pictures. Lulu is huge. Seriously. And that picture of you on the brooklyn bridge-wow you look hot. good work.