Monday, May 11, 2009

Nicaragua

San Juan Del Sur:



This is the place we stayed for a few nights nights--it's called the Buena Vista Surf Club and we rented a "tree house" and got to sleep to the sound of howler monkeys - not super calming, but fun. The food was amazing--we had communal meals and one night we all played poker (without bets) and I beat everyone--by a lot.



This is the view from the kitchen table. It was a gorgeous place.



This was our room.



And these were the howler monkeys.



Playa Maderas. Every morning of the entire trip, I would just jog along the beach and the beaches were long and completely undeveloped (no resorts, roads, tourists, nothing).





The town market.





A souvenir I thought I would bring back for Cyra.





Jared enjoying his mangoes on the to go.



This lady walking her monkey.









Jared vs. the waves.



These parrots were hilarious. They kept yelling "Hola, Hola!"



This is Playa Guascate. Probably the most amazing beach I have ever visited. I swam in this little estuary every day. It was a long, white-sand beach with nothing on it for miles on both directions.



Someone gave this monkey a water bottle and he fell in love with it.



I know that pictures of sunsets are frustrating because they just cannot capture how beautiful they really are, but here's an attempt anyway. The sunsets over this beach were just breathtaking. The pictures seem pathetic in comparison.











We ate one of our best lunches at this restaurant on top of this rock. We were the only people there at the time and maybe ever.



The view from our table.





Another sunset. Sorry, I can't resist.





The other place we stayed.



Puppies. I am not a dog person, but these puppies were adorable. There were three of them and their mom did not like them very much.



Granada



This is the oldest colonial city in the West. It was cool.









Where we stayed.



So this volcano blew up a long time ago and made about 250 little islands (Las Isletas) on Lake Managua (which is the largest fresh water lake in North America). We took a little boat tour of the islands:





There are many people who live on these islands and just get around by boat or just have everything they need on the island.





This was a fort on one of the islands that was built to protect Granada from pirates who got into Lake Managua from the Caribbean.





This was a monkey island. This one is pregnant.







Those are bird nests up there.



A little island cemetery.







It was a great trip. So nice to spend time together without the kids (thanks to my mom.) The one negative thing about the country were the cops who kept stopping us and trying to shake us down. At first we fought it and tried to get out of the bribes, but then we just started paying $10 each time and considering it like a toll.

26 comments:

Chelsea said...

Well, I was wondering why you chose to go to Nicaragua, but it's very clear now. Beautiful pictures. And you guys are SO DANG good lookin'. (Monkeys are gross, though.)

Megan and Eric Barnhurst said...

I too was wondering why Nicaragua? But it looks fabulous! I love going to "off the beaten path" places, so I might have to check it out! We are so looking forward to our 4 days without our kids....ahhh, it can't come soon enough!

Jodi said...

That looks like an AMAZING trip! How fun!

Joy said...

Well at least they teach their parrots manners; the parrots at the local zoo here in my part of the world always tell me to 'whaa, shut-up"!
Oh what I would do to swim in the white sand lagoon you describe! Good on you both for finding time alone :)
I'll bet you got that unbearable feeling of anxiety on the way home from the airport just dying to see them again! ...and then you get so shocked at how much they've grown...and then you get home and back in the routine...and then you're ready for another holiday! :)

Sunny said...

Holy freaking cow your vacation looks wonderful! The tree house is my favorite part of your vacation.

Leslie said...

i know nicaragua is a surf destination, so i'm glad jared braved the waves! cool photos, those birds' nests are crazy!

Sunny said...

Too bad you had to look at those two bums from your kitchen table everyday. They were smack in the middle of your view.

Uhh ... do I really need to sign this?

Emily said...

Isn't it terrible when you can't really capture a sunset? From how beautiful the pictures were, I am sure they were breathtaking.

My favorite island photo is the one of the lone, solitary house. At first I thought it would be amazing to live there, but then I wondered what I would do if I really, really needed a cup of sugar or something? That alone is a reason to have at least one neighbor.

It looks like it was a great trip, you guys. Both of us have been feeling the urge to travel somewhere. Minnesota isn't what we had in mind, but it'll have to work for now!

Ali said...

Beautiful! You can never have too many gorgeous sunset pics!

Rebecca Smylie said...

That little monkey with the water bottle reminds me of my little monkey. Did that monkey refuse to let go of it and then spiill it all over himself and then blame you?

Beautiful pictures. You didn't do this place justice in person. So glad you're back.

celeste said...

Your trip looks amazing. Thanks, for the temporary escapism!

buchanancasa said...

Wow. We are boring. My last post was about a bird's nest. But thanks for letting us live vicariously!

Brecken said...

I'm with Chelsea, you are beautiful and the monkeys are a bit gross. What a fun trip. The beaches and sunsets looked amazing. Glad you had a great time.

Kelley said...

Incredible! What a trip!

rubi said...

oh my! SO jealous! that woman walking her monkey is so funny.

emily said...

This is amazing!

Paris Rental said...

Those sunsets are totally photoshopped. I can tell these things. And the wildlife too.

Paris Rental said...

...and jared's six pack.

The Gainors said...

how did you find out about it? you are so on "the in" when it comes to travel. i will absolutely catch up some day. call me, we need to talk ladies weekend.

Shauna Brown said...

Are you $%#* kidding me!!! Seriously I am dying right now. It was like an episode form Diego with the Howler Monkeys- too funny. I can't even put into words the jealousy I am feeling (I know bad, but true)!! I have a feeling you're going to end up like that preggers monkey after that trip. I know inappropriate but verdad as Diego would say :)

angie said...

seriously, could you just put me in your suitcase next time?! i love the way you travel off the beaten path!

Kassie said...

Looks like such a great trip! Here is my email heartandhandsdoula@gmail.com Let me know if you want to get the playgroup emails.

The Harveys said...

This is making me want to take a parents-only trip. My oldest is 5 and we still haven't done one! How pathetic am I? :) It looks like you had a fantastic time. Good for you!

shayna said...

I thought we had an agreement that you would call up Eric and me and we would carry your bags and ward off cops for you on all your exotic trips. I'm really feeling left out. How come you're so stunning in all pictures? ( I mean Mehrsa but Jared is looking excellent too)

Amberli said...

wow! this is incredible. i saw these pics a while ago on my google reader but i'm just barely getting around to hopping over here to comment. i can't believe you stayed in a tree house. that's totally a swiss family robinson dream come true!

Oliver said...

Can you send over the itinerary? That really needs to go on our short list of where we need to go in the next 1-3 years.