Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Thanksgiving



American holidays are always a hoot over at my parent's house. We really want to make it "normal," but just don't quite know how. Without fail, the turkey is always dry (my dad insists that turkeys--no matter the size--need 6 hours to cook). We always have rice. We never have marshmallows (especially not in "salads") and rarely have pies (unless Shima insists, but no one really eats it).

A few years ago, my parents invited some people over for Thanksgiving dinner: my two cousins (barely spoke English); one of my cousin's Albanian girlfriend (he met her in ESL class); A Lebanese woman (very recent immigrant) and a friend of hers (Egyptian). It was everyone's first Thanksgiving and here we were welcoming these new(er) immigrants. We had to speak broken English (aka: Loud) as we nibbled on our dry turkey and stared at the cranberry "salad" that Jared made (ingredients: cranberries, marshmallows, cool-whip, mix). I wish I could remember the conversation, but I do recall that at one point, my mom was trying to explain the meaning of Thanksgiving and we all went around and said what we were thankful for. Everyone said America.

I am also thankful for America. And this year, I am thankful for these girls:






I am also thankful for Lucia's creativity:

Not sure how she came up with this idea or why, but she was really enjoying herself.



And pomegranates, of course. (Oh. I tag myself to make every post this fall about pomegranates)




P.S. check out Rebecca's new blog.

20 comments:

Brecken said...

mehrsa, Your girls could not be cuter! really. Ok, so you might not believe me, but I"ve never eaten a pomegranate! Nope, not one. I think after your blogs I should go try one.

The Gainors said...

looks fantastic. who wants "normal" anyway?

rubi said...

marshmallow "salads" have always confused stanton and i.

Sunny said...

This is a good one. A really good one. This Thanksgiving I am thankful you're so funny.

Emily said...

I am thankful for Skype, which made you guys feel a little closer this Thanksgiving even though you were two time zones away. We missed you.

Rebecca Smylie said...

I love this post. I love that everyone said America. And I think I got a little stomach drop when I saw the pictures of your girls. I love them. Thanks for the shout-out.

Beck said...

Your "thing" about the pomegranates has really brought back many great memories. After reading your recent entries about peeling them for your girls, I went out and purchased two all for myself! Ahhhhh.

Beth, Cody, Morgan, Pepper, Hazel said...

I loved this post. I love getting to see a glimpse of all the different Thanksgiving traditions (the fact that no one eats pie would be blasphemy in my household...we had two just for ourselves!) Your daughters are beautiful. And I'd just like to say I've already filled the pomegranate blog post requirement! You inspired me!

Jodi said...

I love that story! That's such a great memory for you! Your daughters are precious! Lucia's constant open mouth when she's smiling reminds me of my little Jasmine. I love kids!

naomi megan. said...

you are getting me in the most obsessive mood for a pomegranate. and i don't think your daughters could get any cuter. (i maybe told josh we should hurry up and have babies soon so i can have daughters as cute as yours.)

Trisha said...

I love marshmallows in salad. YUM!!

Kelley said...

Neat story, Mehrsa. And another yay for the U.S. of A. from me.

lucy said...

heehee can't help but chuckle at the post because it seems a lot like the holidays at my parent's house. I love rice with turkey and gravy, it's a must have, and marshmallows in salads......plain weird!

Ramona said...

I love that Bybee cranberry salad--I almost called Sara for the recipe. I love it for the very reasons that you are talking about--I think of it as such an authentic Mormon dish--so American. I don't know how to make anything like that, but always think that I should! I tried to make your mom's saffron rice with potatoes at the bottom the other night, turned out pretty good. Love you guys!

alexandra said...

What a great post and what a fun Thanksgiving. I love reading about other families' traditions. Also, I was struck once again by Shima's and your resemblance to your mom. I remember her insisting that, unfortunately, you guys did not look like her. But you both do.

Hula Girl said...

i love them to!!

Brecken said...

Hey Mehrsa, would you mind leaving your address on my blog so I can send you a christmas card. thanks! Hope you are having a great holiday season!

Amberli said...

i guess i'm going to have to break down one of these days and buy a pomegranate...

A said...

Thought of you guys and your snacking..
http://clarkcontinuum.blogspot.com/2008/11/red-snack-of-choice.html

Oliver & Margy said...

Canadians have Thanksgiving too (in October), but somehow my parents always did American Thanksgiving a little differently... most often at the beach. Regardless, it's nice to have holidays to bring people together. I love your beautiful family and those delicious looking pomegranates.