Saturday, August 02, 2008

Was I wrong or am I just weak?

At one point, sometime before I had kids, I mentally (and unfortunately, verbally) made some pronouncements about how I would NEVER allow my child to _____. I have been strong on some parts of my list (no tattoos, no Bratz dolls, no boyfriends)....for now. But as for the high fructose corn syrup, tv, and her many non-educational plastic toys, I have to say that my list was short-sighted (or I am weaker than a two year old with above average intelligence(let's at least give her that)). I underestimated the power of turning on a dvd when you need to get things done, or a lollipop to persuade or soothe and that any sane little girl would rather play with a talking pink baby than wood blocks with letters on them.

But the one that breaks my heart. I said that my child would never play with a gun...





What worries me about the above picture is not that Cyra is pointing an orange revolver at her sister, but that her sister seems to be bored with the educational toy beside her and that she will soon follow in her sister's path of violence...

9 comments:

Leslie said...

they'll live. :)

buchanancasa said...

Micah makes his carrots into swords. Just do the best you can; they're lucky to have you as their mother.

celeste said...

I love that she carries this "gun" in her purse! It just goes to show, they come with their own personalities.

Rebecca Smylie said...

She's a harlem girl...and she's ready to take it on. And I believe that someday our kids will at least know that we had such upstanding desires. and maybe this will count for something?

Haydee said...

My son would carve one out of soap if he had to..and I'm so with you on the power of a DVD. Sometimes I think that being a good enough parent is better than the alternative..it makes for more normal kids...I hope.

Chelsea said...

Hilarious, Mehrs. I love that bottom picture, I laughed out loud...

And come on, nothing is better than a purse and a gun.

umami girl said...

Urban kids - what can you do? Mine likes sushi, yours can't leave home without a pistol in her baig. They're both high-risk activities, when you think about it.... I do especially love how Cyra is jailed in one of the subsequent posts, though. Was that related to the gun?

The Gainors said...

wait till you have a boy.

shayna said...

When Eric and I visited you once, we had a similar conversation about all this. I loved that you said that you'd never judge another mother on their parenting. You're a wise lady.