Thursday, June 12, 2008

Fun and safe activities to do with kids

In all of my parenting wisdom, I thought I would share some of my great ideas with you less-good parents. Here are some fun and safe activities for your kids to do:



All you need is a nasty NYC newspaper bin. You just insert the child inside and shut the door. Endless fun. (note: my father actually thought of this game--there he is pushing the kids inside).









And for babies, I have found that the toys that are the most fun are just object you have lying around the kitchen:





(not a real knife--duh). Lucia was holding that thing in her hands the entire day and just crawling around clutching the knife and muttering "ARRRR." Last part is not true, but I think my pirate ancestry is quite apparent in this child.

Other ideas include: taking them to the playground when it's 100 degrees, taking babies to the zoo when it's 100 degrees, letting your toddler "hold the baby," letting your toddler "feed" the baby, etc.

10 comments:

Leslie said...

brilliant mehrsa! :) that knife thing is hilarious. she looks so innocent.

do you really have pirate ancestry? cool!!

Ashley said...

All great ideas. I also like the "forget I have a child" game where I'm so busy talking to someone or sitting down trying to not sweat to death that I forget about Eliot and find him halfway down the street having opened the playground gate or chewing on a rock...you get the idea. Other fun places to find your child...in the bathroom with every toiletry imaginable spread out on the ground. Yeah, I really want to use that toothbrush now.

Oliver & Margy said...

Hahaha, for these reasons, I think parenting looks like a lot of fun.

naomi megan. said...

Mehrsa, this is too good. I love it. And your children are just beautiful.

buchanancasa said...

I love it! And your kids do, too. That's all that matters, right?

nikki said...

These are great ideas... I will keep them in mind when John Henry shows up. I also love your little pirate. I missed her smiling face in church yesterday :)

Trisha said...

I have to admit that we did the "soccer camp and play on the playground next door" thing today. But, was it 100 degrees? No - try 110! I guess I'm right up there in the good parent category! Although, stuffing your child in the newspaper bin is definitely one I've never done. Will keep that one in mind...

Shauna Brown said...

Don't think I haven't tried a few of those!! What about letting your 2 year old give your infant a bath.

Likely said...

I should put this one on Likely Classroom!

so funny.

wimblies said...

I came home once and Kaira was cutting fruit on a chopping board with a real knife. At 14 months. Alia was sitting next to her and claimed that she was teaching her "good knife skills." She still thinks it's a good idea.