Monday, February 16, 2009

Recession shoes

If the recession goes on for another ten years, your shoes will look like this:


What nasty thrift store or museum did I find these shoes in, you ask? Actually, these are the shoes I wear every day and have been wearing since 1993!!! Am I kidding? Unfortunately, no! I bought these shoes in 1993 because they were all the rage in my high school (yes, I was in high school then). I wore them to school for a while and then I just started wearing them around the house. People from the middle east have outside shoes and house shoes (same goes for clothes). So I strutted around the house in these shoes and my baggy sweatshirts all during high school. These puppies were on my feet while I ate cheesecake straight from the Shoprite tin and laughed, braces glistening, at Saved By the Bell. These shoes were on my feet as I rocked out to Swamp Ophelia in my room and called my friends and hoped that no one else picked up the phone while I was on. These shoes are older than my brother. They came with me to college, my mission, law school, etc. They are starting to show their age and have recently become a bit embarrassing.



So that is why I am announcing a GIVEAWAY!!! I don't usually do this on my blog, but if you post a comment, you automatically enter to win them. They are size 6. I will pick the names randomly so don't try to sweetalk me. (kidding)

Just thought I would write the post, say goodbye to the shoes (but not throw them away) and wait for Amazon to send me the new house shoes I just ordered (just doing my part to stimulate the economy, folks).

15 comments:

Chelsea said...

I CANNOT believe you still have those. Those shoes are permanently etched in my brain. A flood of BYU memories came coming back to me upon seeing them.

Are you sure you want to get rid of them? I had a pair of boiled wool clogs, but only held onto them for 4 years. I still mourn the loss.

Brecken said...

I remember those shoes! Are you sure you want to get rid of them....Bronzing may be more appropriate.

Anonymous said...

Too bad I'm a size 7. And even though I usually think I can give new life to whatever you are giving away, these really do belong in the trash. May your new home shoes last another 15 years.

Marci + Dan said...

That is sweet. I've got a pair of steve maden's that I've worn since 9th grade. I love them.

Collette said...

You went on a mission? Where?

Anonymous said...

I still have my red ones, with a hole on the right toe!

I love keeping up with you through your blog!

Maggie

Rebecca Smylie said...

Man, I'm dying. Hoping no one else would pick up the phone? The details of the early nineties Mehrsa, you nailed it. And then a GIVEAWAY!!! I'm going to leave like twelve comments under different names to up my chances.

Shontz Family said...

i have the same shoes...got them in high school and i still have them too! although i'm pretty sure yours look worse than mine (a sign of true love). mine didn't make it to the mission or even to switzerland, but i still love them. i guarantee ll bean still sells them.

mahya said...

mehrsaaaa,I want this shoe :)))))

Oliver & Margy said...

This is the best. I love your recession shoes and the great excuse we all have to "stimulate the economy". But I don't want to get in the way of Rebecca winning, so please don't put my name in the running - I wouldn't know what to do with such a great gift.

Sara said...

I've seen your recently deceased hiking boots, so these don't come as much of a surprise, really. Please send them to Rebecca if I win, she seems like she really wants them :). What I LOVED however, were all the details about you in high school. Priceless.

Irene said...

Spencer had issues with my JCrew flip flops. He would always tell me that they looked pretty bad, but I refused to believe it. I just loved the polka dot straps. I still miss them:-(

Likely said...

Sooo funny. I too, loved the high school comments. I haven't ever even thought about the fact that people can't really eavesdrop or "pick up the phone" on someone anymore. It's all cell phones. Caller ID ruins some fun as well huh?

Loved Save by the Bell. Remember Zach's cell phone? It was like the size of a shoebox. My brothers have nearly every episode memorized.

Great post. Unfortunately I am pushing a size 10 shoe.... Max would have fun with them though clompin' around.... ;)

Anonymous said...

So funny. I'm not sure you should give them away though. A more appropriate place to keep them is Hediyeh's closet in Goshen. I guarantee you will want them back after to realize your Amazon shoes can never replace them.

Tholstrom said...

Mehrs! I have those shoes! Funny thing, mine look brand new and were a christmas present from my mom in H.S. I believe I will break them out, from my attic, winter shoe bin in memory of you. The shoes will live on. That being said, those babies, are definitely irreplaceable if they have seen all that you have done with your beautiful life. I will still try, and be inspired as I do.