Thursday, January 15, 2009

That hat that nice lady made.

My friend Kimber made Cyra this lovely hat (Kimber does not have a blog--so primitive. I actually have to call her to catch up. It's a wonder we are still friends. I am not sure how long I can keep doing it). Cyra referred to this hat as "that hat that nice lady made for me." Anyway, she was riding on Jared's shoulders as we were coming out of a train and the hat fell off and fell down--way down:


Jared and I used to play this game on the subway platform where we would answer the question: If you dropped ____, would you go down and get it? We both said not for our wedding rings (we are not that sentimental and there are RATS down there), no to most personal possessions, but maybe our wallets and only if there was a lot of cash in there. Needless to say, we did not go down there to get the hat.



For those of you who do not live here, it's nastier than it looks in these pictures and way further down and I doubt any new york subway driver would even flinch before he ran you over (that's not true, they might honk a horn or something). Anyway, Cyra was really sad and was worried that the rats were going to eat it, but we convinced her that they might need it to keep their rat heads warm.

So if any of you are at the 72nd street station any time soon and see a lovely hat on a rat head, tell Cyra that mommies and daddies do not lie to their children.

14 comments:

Rebecca Smylie said...

It's too bad I wasn't there with you guys. I would have jumped down no problem. I once went down for the other half of my apple.

celeste said...

Nasty . . . you guys did the right thing. Tell Cyra that the rats can tuck their baby rats in that hat at night.

Brecken said...

That is a perfect blog story. Good job convincing Cyra the hat was going to such a great cause. Those rats are so fortunate.

Jared said...

For the record our wedding rings cost $40 each.

We both decided that we would DEFINATELY jump down there if we dropped one of our kids.

Jordan and Candice said...

Ha ha! Jordan and I play that same exact game and answer that question. Basically I wouldn't go down for anything...EXCEPT maybe my wedding ring. But I would probably send someone down there instead. I am more terrified of rats than getting hit by trains.

Anonymous said...

I started to leave a comment about my wild imagination and Harper falling onto the tracks. But you wouldn't want to read it. I shouldn't have even thought it. Instead, I send my condolences to Cyra for her lost hat.

kimber said...

Chad said he would have gone in for it. Sick.

By the way, you are lucky you get phone calls, most people I keep in touch with just get mailed letters or telegraphs with Morse code.

alexandra said...

I once risked my life for a 2 buck fare card in DC. I was too ill informed to realize that I could haev been electrocuted. I was 25.

I am jealous that you are friends iwth Kimber. I feel that, having known Chad longer, she should be mailing me packages. I am a lovely person.

Are you all set up for DC? Let me know if you need anything.

rubi said...

i dropped my iphone down there a few months ago and almost cried...especially because there was a police officer there who just said to me that she didn't understand how people do that all the time. a nice mta worker got it for me though and i wiped it with clorox wipes.

noelle regina said...

matt and i play "how much money would have to be on the track for you to pick it up with your teeth?" sometimes it's in a puddle. sometimes it's near a rat dropping. but always, i won't budge for anything under $5000.

nikki said...

I was at 72nd the other day and do believe I saw a rat with a blue hat. He looked warm and toasty and asked me to tell Cyra thanks... so thanks.

Hula Girl said...

funny that i funny!mehrsa tiare

Oliver & Margy said...

This post and comments are quite funny. Oliver and I play the game too. I think it totally depends on the time of day, the gunk in the tracks, and if you can see the train coming from a while back. 72nd is really not worth it. I'm sure the rats truly enjoy their new sweaters.

Unknown said...

Fabulous story. Too bad about the hat, but some raccoon-sized rat is shuffling around in style now. Only in NYC.